Thursday 8 March 2012

Gardeners World

I think I'm becoming domesticated...

As you might know, we just moved house before Christmas 2011. We aquired a garage, drive, layby parking space, gardens to the front, side and rear to the property and also... a greenhouse. So today, I thought I'd take a travel out into the garden and investigate this metal framed structure lurking in the corner of our garden. On first inspection, it's in pretty good nick, if a little green in places and has a few problems with a few of the windows and joints between them. However, on the inside, it was an Aladdin's cave of goodies left from the previous owner, including a flymo strimmer, a hedge trimmer and a rather suspicious looking hover mower. I think it will be disposed of, but the other electricals seem in good condition so will need to try them out to determine whether they stay or go. There was also an abundance of used (and reusable) flower pots, a watering can that not so much sprinkles but explodes, a selection of weedkillers and an anonymous bottle with fluid in it - I don't want to spray it in case it kills something! So all in all, I've found a heap of stuff which I now don't need to buy, and some things which need repaired like the hand tools and ground tools. My dad's going to help me out with some things, but he's a bit of an expert being a farmer and all, so that's ok.





Upon seeing the mess of dirt, old compost, spiders webs and dust, I concluded that it's time the greenhouse got a bit of a clear out. It took me a couple of hours, but I've been successful.


After making sure everything was cleared properly, I started to put back in the items to be kept and also new that I'd bought over the past few weeks. Several seed types are now sown and I've also repotted the clematis' that I bought yesterday because they looked a bit weak and in need of a bit more space.





Fingers crossed that I learn to grow flowers and veg sucessfully, but there are - of course - no promises! But I have the best chance now...

After finishing in the greenhouse, I also made some soup - 2 pots! The first is vegetable soup for both me and the man, and the second is broccoli which I'm going to freeze in single servings so that I have a stock of them for quick lunches and meals when I need them. And I put washing out after lunch to dry a little bit. Goodness me, I'm nearly a housewife! But this does beg the question - how long will it last?!


No comments:

Post a Comment