Wednesday 9 December 2009

...and so little time

Well, yesterday I saw one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Or should I say many of them?! I was bored after college, sitting enjoying a nice mug of hot chocolate in a cafe in the station. Nice to warm me up. There was a window to my left, which looked across a corridor/tunnel/thing to a WHSmith. Now, the doors I was looking at were automatic doors, but had HUGE signs in the windows - both doors - saying "Sorry! These doors are out of order. Please use the other entrance". I could barely see into the shop past these notices, they were that big. Round the corner from these doors were normal push-pull doors, two sets of them, with people streaming in and out of them. Great thing that civilisation is.

So anyway. I was sitting, watching the world go by, when someone walked up to these automatic doors, expected them to open, and looked incredibly confused when they didn't. This clever person then turned on their heels and walked round to the other doors. I thought nothing more about it. Until, I happened to see another person do the same thing, that befuddled expression obviously blinding their eyes from these glaring signs saying "Sorry!" in big, black letters. Another 12 people did the same thing, one after the other, a matter of 20 seconds between each. They must have thought they were special, that the door which wouldn't open for the person before them, would open up when they approach, as though they shouted "Open sesame!". Pah.

And then I was in creases. This bloke, bald as a coot, wandered up to the door, big headphones over his ears and a backpack hitched high on his back, and looked highly confused at the sensor above the doors. He surveyed the glass doors, missing entirely the signs saying to use the other entrances, and proceeded to step back from the doors and look at the sensor again. Had he hair on his head, I swear he would have scratched his head through it. But, instead, he rubbed his head, making it shine even more. Seeing as his attempts at attracting the attention of the sensors by stepping back, he moved forward the doors. As they didn't do so much as twitch, Baldie stood back and waved. Yes, he waved his arms at the sensor. But he must have realised how ridiculous he looked, because he checked for people watching him to his left and right, then skulked off round the corner and went into the shop from the front. Mucho hilarity to be had.

He was number 13. There was a further 10.. yes, TEN people did the same as him, although, they didn't stand around nearly as long, and it wasn't as much entertainment, though some of the expressions on their faces made me giggle. One woman walked up, backed up, almost ran at the door, shoved her shoulder into it, then looked around with a sheepish grin on her face and tried to look casual as she walked away. She had clocked me giggling quietly to myself. Had I been laughing as I normally would, people would have been looking at me as though I were insane. They wouldn't be far wrong, but they don't need to know that!

Just when I thought it was time for me to pack away my notepad and pen, I looked one last time at my source of amusement and happened to see right into the shop, beside the crisps and munchies. Then, this gorgeous bloke I saw came walked round the end of the munch stand, looking around randomly at different things. Then, to top my day off, he walked into the automatic doors trying to get out! I burst out laughing, in a silent way, which probably doesn't make any sense, but oh well. Such is life.

As for the diet, it's going alright. I had a light lunch of something I cannot remember, then a dinner of a prawn mayo sarnie, and a little bit of leftover potato dauphinoise. Twas a cold day and I needed warming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment